So, last week was a bit of a nail biter... After a three and a half month wait, Margo had finally arrived and was wired in! As my studio is based in our normal residential house with a max power of 63A, I had endured many a stressful thought of whether or not running 40A Margo was going to blow up the house!
After she'd been given the all clear, I ramped her up and watched the meter like a hawk to make sure she was clear of the magical blow-up-the-house figure... It was therefore intriguing to observe Margo didn't make any difference to our household loading... At all. Hmmm, that seemed very odd. I ran around the house turning on heaters - yep, they put up the loading; oven, yep, that did too; other kiln - definitely. Okay... so it appeared the electrician had managed to bypass our meter...! This state of affairs would have been great for keeping the power bill down, but less great for not-blow-up-the-house watch. And as that would be an awkward end to the week we thought we better have her wired correctly - and so, with many sparky apologies, she was.
After running two short schedules to dry the kiln wash which I multi-tasked with meter watching to check her behaviour, she had her maiden voyage with real glass three nights ago. Margo is so enormous that she is only cool enough this afternoon to take the glass out (to avoid thermal shock) to inspect - of the four pieces I put in I'm happy with how she's firing. Above is a quick pic of my favourite. Onwards and upwards (or sideways) from here!
PS: Yay to not blowing-up-the-house!!